Ref. code: 211022
The Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics (CING), is an internationally recognised Centre of Excellence offering specialized services, translational research and postgraduate education in the fields of neurology, genetics, biomedical and medical sciences. This is probably the most successful model nowadays as it combines education, service and innovative research activities in one centre, providing major medical benefits to the people, society and the country. CING, was one of the first, and today one of the best Institutes in Europe where postgraduate education, research and service have been successfully combined.
Our main aim is to improve continuously in order to lessen the suffering of patients and their families and prevent diseases through patient care, research and educational programs on neurological and genetic conditions such as muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, chromosomal abnormalities and all other aspects of molecular biology and genetics such as thalassaemia, molecular virology, mental retardation, cardiovascular disease, stroke, cystic fibrosis and neurogenetics. Moreover, CING plays a key role in the fight against crime by providing specialized DNA services to the police authorities and expert court testimony for criminal and civil investigations.
We’re looking for people who share our vision and who will become part of our core team dedicated to upgrade the quality of life of our patients. CING is an excellent opportunity for medical professionals who are interested in combining medical practice with research and education.
We are currently seeking to recruit a Senior Neurologist/Department Head to head one of the Institute’s Clinical Departments, based at the Institute’s premises in Nicosia, Cyprus.
The Department provides outpatient and inpatient care, diagnosis, management and counselling on the whole spectrum of neurological diseases. The Department is predominantly involved with the clinical and laboratory evaluation (muscle and nerve biopsies) of patients with an emphasis on neuromuscular disorders such as, myopathies, motor neuron disease and neuropathies. The department’s services are unique to Cyprus. The Neuropathology department is also active in the research of neurodegenerative diseases, as well as both peripheral and central nervous system amyloidoses. The Department is also involved in the CING’s academic activities such as the delivery of lectures/tutorials in Neurosciences and Neurogenetics (as part of the postgraduate programmes) and the supervision of MSc and PhD students.
What you will be doing:
The suitable candidate will head one of the Institute’s Clinical Departments as certified medical doctor trained in the diagnosis and treatment of neurological diseases. Additionally, he/she will engage in research and education. The above position is combined with a faculty position at the appropriate academic rank commensurate with experience and track record at the Cyprus Institute of Neurology and Genetics.
The successful candidate will be accountable to the Chief Executive Officer and Medical Director and he/she will be a member of the Institute’s Scientific Council.
What we are seeking:
• An MD degree with a sub specialty in Neurology; and
• Recognized board certification in Neurology; and
• License or eligible for license from the Pancyprian Medical Association; and
• A minimum of 6 years of post-graduate training and experience in an accredited medical centre; and
• Knowledge of clinical operations and procedures; and
• Supervisory experience; and
• Command of the Greek and English languages; and
Experience in Neuromuscular/Muscle Disorders and Neuropathology will be considered an advantage.
WHAT WE OFFER
• Highly collaborative culture
• A CHKS accredited outpatient and inpatient centre with specialized clinics and laboratories functioning as a national referral centre for neurological disorders
• Cutting-edge basic and clinical neuroscience research and top-notch facilities at the Institute
• Opportunities for advancement as an academic:
- Research infrastructure and resources are allocated including dedicated lab space and research staff
- Opportunities to participate in the academic activities of the CING (supervision of MSc/PhD students and teaching in the CING postgraduate programmes)
• An attractive compensation package will be offered to the successful candidate, including a competitive relocation package for people who will be relocating to Cyprus for the purposes of taking up employment at the Institute.
HOW TO APPLY
A cover letter and a detailed curriculum vitae, 3 representative publications, and names of two referees should reach the Institute by e-mail at: [email protected], stating the reference code. Contact person for further information: Ms Anna Michaelidou, tel.: 22392789, e-mail: [email protected].